Brown says stability, reliability, and approachability. It is the color of our earth and is associated with all things natural or organic.
Click on each subtitle below to learn all about the color brown:
- supplies a feeling of wholesomeness
- provides a connection with the earth
- gives a sense orderliness
- Mestizo Hispanics sometimes refer to themselves as brown or bronze.
- The Dravidian Caucasoids and Indo-Aryan people of South Asia are sometimes called brown.
- In the United States, Thanksgiving is represented by brown and orange.
- The Japanese do not have a specific word for brown. Rather, they use more descriptive names such as “tea-color,” “fox-color,” and “fallen-leaf.”
- In India, brown is the color of mourning because it resembles dying leaves.
- American Indians believe the color brown represents the power of self-discipline.
Brown was representative of the Nazi Party in Germany from the 1920’s to the 1940’s. The Sturmabteilung (SA — German stormtroopers) dressed in brown uniforms and were referred to as “brownshirts.” The Nazi vote was symbolized by brown on electoral district maps. The location of the Nazi headquarters was named the Brown House.
- The official color of UPS is Pullman Brown.
- Companies use brown paper to denote a natural product.
- The existence of brown dwarves, astronomical objects, was recently confirmed by astronomers.
- NFL team Cleveland Browns was named after Paul Brown, the team’s founder.
- If you dream of the color brown, it means you will be lucky with money.
- Football teams include the Cleveland Browns.
- Brown sugar: partially refined sugar
- Brown bagging: to bring a homemade packed lunch to work
- Brown out: a partial loss of electrical power [See article "Three Types of Brownout"]
- Brownstone: a building made out of dark colored sandstone
- In a brown study: describing someone as being in deep thought
- “The only color I don’t have is navy brown.” — Yogi Berra
- “Moralistic is not moral. And as for truth — well, it’s like brown — it’s not in the spectrum. Truth is so generic.” — Iris Murdoch
- “God has a brown voice, as soft and full as beer.” — Anne Sexton
- “I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns.” — Winston Churchill
There is no question that the vehicle you drive is an extension of your personality — an unspoken but clear message to the rest of the world.
- The message you send by driving a vehicle that is Brown: Down-to-earth, no nonsense.
- If, however, your vehicle is a Tan or Taupe, you give a different impression: Timeless, basic, and simple tastes.
- From The Color Answer Book by Leatricce Eiseman with permission
- Big, Bad Leroy Brown by Jim Croce
- Big Brown City by Lynn Miles
- A Boat Like Gideon Brown by Great Big Sea
- Bobbie Brown Goes Down by Frank Zappa on Sheik Yerbouti
- Bring Back That Leroy Brown by Queen on Sheer Heart Attack
- Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison on Blowin’ Your Mind!
- Brown Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry
- Brown Eyed Pickle Boy by Tripping Daisy
- Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones on Sticky Fingers
- Mrs. Brown You’ve Got A Lovely Daughter by Herman’s Hermits
- Brown is considered a neutral color in landscape design and is often used as a background color. Its appearance helps to showcase other colors in the garden.
- Brown can add depth to a small garden. It can also be used to showcase particular areas of a larger garden.
- The popularity of chocolate brown plants and flowers in the garden and floral arrangements continues to grow.
- Learn about the art, science, history, and romance of Chocolate at Nantucket Chocolatier’s Legends & Lore
- Tasting coffee is an art form. To detect the most amount of flavor from the coffee bean, it must be tasted properly. Coffee tasting works much like wine tasting. As in wine tasting, coffee tasting has special terms used to describe the taste of coffee and its perfect balance. – Passion for Coffee
- Dark beer offers some of the same heart-healthy benefits as chocolate and red wine, according too a new study. – Realbeer.com
- Whole-wheat bread is made from the entire wheat kernel, including bran and germ. – Delicious Living magazine
- “Chocolate” was the original scent of the brown colored Magic Scents Crayons from Binney & Smith Inc., introduced in 1994 with mostly food scents. However, there were numerous reports that children were eating the food-scented crayons, so the food scents were retired and replaced with non-food scents. The scent for the color brown became “dirt.”
- Fresh-ground nutmeg has a spicy scent that is often associated with the holidays. It is a fragrance the is rejuvenating and uplifting.
- Almond is a nutty scent that is wonderful and light. Aromatherapy benefits include its ability to be anchoring and strengthening. -Scent It.com
Is there something you know about brown that should be included here? Great! We’d love to hear from you. Share what you know about brown (or any other color) by clicking here.